If you reside in Canmore you must licence your pet. Licenses may be purchased at the Town of Canmore Civic Centre Front Desk located at 902 7th Avenue between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Once documentation and payment have been received you will be issued a tag that must be attached to your pet's collar. All licence tags expire on Dec. 31 and must be renewed before Jan. 1. Visit our Pet Owners page for more information.
Can't afford to licence your pet? You may be eligible for our Affordable Services Program.
The Town of Canmore’s Animal Control Bylaw regulates domestic animals in our Town. For more information, refer to Animal Control Bylaw 2011-10
- All dogs must be licenced.
- Dogs are not to be left unattended at locations where the public has access (such as a grocery store or coffee shop).
- All dogs must be on-leash at all times unless posted signs indicate otherwise, or they are in a securely fenced private yard.
- Dogs must still be under the control of their owner in designated off-leash areas, meaning they will come to you on command.
- A dog owner must ensure their dog does not:
- Attack or threaten any person
- Chase any person on foot, bike, or horseback
- Attack, harass, injure or kill another domestic animal or wildlife
- Bark excessively
- Defecate on private or public property without the owner immediately removing it
- Dogs are not allowed in:
- Areas where prohibited by sign
- Quarry Lake
- Dogs must be secured in the back of pickup trucks, regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or not. This can be accomplished by:
- Enclosing the bed of the truck with a topper
- Securing a ventilated kennel in the bed of the truck
- Animal attractants, such as pet food, can not be stored outside. Visit Removing Wildlife Attractants for more information.
If you lost your pet, it may have been picked up by Municipal Enforcement. Call 403.678.4244 as soon as you notice your pet is missing. We will need your name, contact details, and your pet’s name and description, as well as any other information you think might be helpful.
If you call after hours please leave a message and we will return your call in the morning. If your pet is wearing its licence tag, we will attempt to contact you so that we can get it home to you as soon as possible. You may need to pay an impound fee before you can pick up your pet.
Pets spending time in our animal shelter are well cared for. They have fresh water, food, and shelter, and are checked on regularly. If a pet is not claimed after 72 hours it becomes available for adoption. Adoptions are handled by the Bow Valley SPCA. Call 403.609.2022 for more information.
If you have found a pet, you may try and find the owner by doing a pet owner search using the tag number or tattoo. If you are not successful with the pet owner search tool, you can notify Municipal Enforcement between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on any day at 403.678.4244 and we will arrange a time to pick up the pet. If the pet is wearing a licence tag, please give us the number from the tag. If you call after hours please leave a message and we will return your call in the morning.