Home Occupation Permit
Home occupations are small-scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Canmore.
Class 1 Home Occupation (No Development Permit required) – is a small-scale business that is accessory to a Dwelling Unit, has no impact on the surrounding neighbourhood and would be undetectable from the street.
Class 2 Home Occupation (Development Permit required) – is a small-scale business that is accessory to a Dwelling Unit, which may have some impact on the surrounding neighbourhood by way of noise, dust, customer visitation, deliveries, etc. Conditions can be put on Class 2 Home Occupations in order to minimize such impacts.
To determine you home business classification please answer the following questions:
1. Do you have clients or customers coming to your home?
2. Do you have deliveries to your home?
3. Do you have employees coming to your home?
4. Do you manufacture or produce goods in your home? For example, manufacturing furniture or producing food items.
5. Do you store materials and equipment or park trailers/commercial vehicles on-site?
If you answered NO to all of the questions, your business falls within the definition of a Home Occupation Class 1 and will only need to obtain a Town of Canmore Business License. For information on how to obtain a business license, please click here.
RENEWING YOUR HOME OCCUPATION CLASS 2 DEVELOPMENT PERMIT
Class 2 Home Occupations are required to renew their Development Permit one (1) year after the initial approval, and every three (3) years after that. Operators must apply to renew their Development Permit prior to the expiry date stated in their Schedule A - Conditions of Approval.
If the following applies to your business:
- No changes to the original Home Occupation DP approval; and
- The renewal application is submitted prior to the expiry date noted in the Schedule A – Conditions of Approval
- pdf The Home Occupation Class 2 Renewal checklist (160 KB)
- pdf Home Occupation Class 2 Renewal Form Fillable (227 KB)
Applications received after the expiry date will be required to apply as a new Home Occupation and be limited to a 1-year approval.