A development permit is needed for most new construction, or any time there is a change in the way land is used or the intensity of use. Obtaining a development permit provides assurance that your development is following the Land Use Bylaw. Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval.
How Can We Assist You?
Development Permit Process
- Pre-Application meetings are required for all major developments and are optional for small developments. You can look to our Other Services page here for more information.
- Applicant contacted to make permit fee payment
- Initial review of the application by Development Officer
- Notice of Permit Application Posted (10 days)
- You will be required to post a notice of permit application in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties of your application.
- Final review by Development Officer
- Notice of Decision posted (21 day appeal period)
- Once a decision has been made, you will be required to post a notice of decision in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties that the proposed development has been approved. If no appeals to the Subdivision & Development Appeal Board clerk are received during this time, the DP can be issued.
- Permit issued
- Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval
Development Permit Application Form
Note: Failure to submit this form will result in your application not being processed.
pdf Development Permit Application Form (764 KB)
pdf Home Occupation Class 2 Renewal Form Fillable (227 KB)
Development Permit Requirements Checklist
Important Notice: The following documents and the applicable fee(s) are required for a complete application.
pdf Small Development Application Requirements Checklist (632 KB)
pdf Intermediate - Large Development Application Requirements Checklist (608 KB)
pdf Bed and Breakfast Application Requirements Checklist (529 KB)
pdf Home Occupation Checklist (571 KB)
pdf Home Occupation Renewal Checklist (160 KB)
pdf Development Permit Additional Requirements Checklist (105 KB)
pdf Temporary Seasonal Business Requirements Checklist (592 KB)
pdf Change of Use Requirements Checklist (146 KB)
pdf Grading, Excavation and Logging Checklist (560 KB)
To access the fee schedule click here.
If you have further questions, please submit them to the Planning & Development Department using the following form.