Town of Canmore

Occupancy Certificate

An Occupancy Certificate is a required document that is issued by the Town of Canmore, which grants a permit holder the ability to occupy a building. An Occupancy Certificate is required for a building after construction, relocation, partial demolition or after a change of the existing occupancy classification has taken place.

A detailed process map outlining the various steps to obtaining an Occupancy Certificate can be found pdf here (128 KB) .

The Occupancy Certificate process cannot be started until a final inspection of the project has been passed by the Safety Codes Officer. Final inspections can be arranged by contacting Superior Safety Codes Inc. office at 1.888.717.2344, allowing a minimum of 48 hours to book. 

Depending on the scale of development, the requirements to obtain an Occupancy Certificate will differ. 

To initiate the Occupancy Certificate process, please submit the required information to the Planner assigned to your Building Permit application. Only Occupancy Certificate requests that provide all required information will be reviewed. Incomplete submissions will be sent back to the applicant. 

It is important to read and understand your Occupancy Certificate and ensure that any conditions that are listed on it are met by the prescribed date (where applicable). Should the conditions of occupancy not be met by the outlined dates, the occupancy for the building may be revoked and the water turned off. A building permit is still open until all conditions of occupancy are completed. 

Electrical, Gas or Plumbing Permits

Permits are available through municipalities that are accredited to administer the Safety Codes Act, and through agencies who provide inspection services on behalf of the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA) in unaccredited municipalities. Where to get a Permit: Safety Codes Council

Water Meter Requests and Removals

Water meter installation requests are managed by the Town of Canmore. If you need to have a water meter installed or removed, please complete the following online Water Meter Installation or Removal Request Form

NOTE: For smaller developments requiring a meter(s) ranging in size from 15-20 mm, requests must be received a minimum of 5 business days in advance. For Larger size water meters, requests must be made up to 4 months in advance. For further information please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

The Town of Canmore is located within Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. In the spirit of respect, reciprocity and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Canmore area, known as “Chuwapchipchiyan Kudi Bi” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “shooting at the willows”) and the traditional Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw First Nation, Chiniki First Nation, and Goodstoney First Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3, within the historical Northwest Métis homeland. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play and help us steward this land and honour and celebrate this territory. We commit to working to live in right relations and to advance Truth and Reconciliation.

Website Security Test